Utah Spring Sprinkler Maintenance
If you have a lawn that covers a considerable area, you need to have a good irrigation system in order to efficiently maintain this area. A sprinkler system is one of the most important parts of your landscape irrigation plan. There are three general types of sprinklers:
- Drip systems are popular for irrigation of non-turf areas. Such systems usually consist of a special tube with holes along it. These holes have a fixed distance to water the whole area or certain plants. When drips are installed properly, they can save a lot of time and money.
- Rotor heads can be found in two different styles stream and impact. They are useful for watering large areas. Unlike spray heads, they supply water more uniformly. Rotor heads can spray in full or part circle patterns.
- Spray heads are most commonly used for small areas. Their heads are designed to spray in different patterns – depending on the area you would like to be watered. They are good on flat surfaces and with soils that can absorb water quickly. The most common spray patterns that can be found on the market today are full, half and quarter circles. These types of sprinkler use lots of water, however, which means that they have a high application rate.
How to Turn On the Sprinkler System
There are several techniques for a better <a href=”http://asl1.com/allstates/Sprinklers.html”>sprinkler maintenance</a>. Follow the below steps to keep your sprinkler in a good condition:
- After the sprinkler is installed, make sure that all manual drain valves are turned to the “closed” position before you turn on any water to the system;
- Slowly turn on the main water valve and see that the water fills the pipes gradually. If the valves are opened too quickly, the sprinkler main lines can be under a high pressure, which may damage the system;
- Each zone valve should be activated manually from the controller to maker sure the zone operates correctly;
- Make sure that the operating pressure is normal. If the pressure is low, this may mean that there is a line break or missing sprinkler;
- Sprinkler heads must be in a good condition and rotate freely. Adjust the heads accordingly for adequate coverage;
- If the sprinkler performs poorly, check and clean its filters;
- Once the above steps are done, you can reprogram the controller for automatic watering;
- Replace the back-up battery if needed;
- If your sprinkler system has a rain sensor, make sure it is uncovered and clean;
Automated Sprinkler Systems
To help water your lawn more efficiently, you can also consider the installation of an automated sprinkler system.
If you decide to install a sprinkler system, the first thing you should do is to plan the system. You should mark the location of buried cables in the yard, and then calculate the size of the yard with a tape measure. Do not forget to measure the water pressure and determine the sprinklers’ coverage. In addition, you will need to select appropriate sprinkler heads according to the irrigation needs of the lawn and landscape.
It is very important to perform regular sprinkler maintenance check. Otherwise, sprinkler systems can waste water and cause detrimental effects on your landscape. You should check out sprinklers in the spring before the systems’ regular usage. During the winter, when your watering system is not used, insects can settle there. That is why, in order to flush out your irrigation system, open up the tubes at the ends and flush water through it. Don’t forget to check for clogged nozzles. If you leave any scratches it may alter the spray pattern and make dry spots.
Another problem is calcium buildup in your sprinkler system. Use calcium removal product and this problem will be solved. The valves of the sprinkler systems also need to be checked for any leaks. If your sprinklers have leaks, they can cause your water bill raise.
If your sprinkler system is automatic, you should also check the timer for the run time on each place. It is a good idea to change the timer with the season because there are plants that need more water than others and plants will receive the proper amount of water for each season. Replace back-up battery every spring.
Arrange your sprinkler systems so that they water your landscape and not sidewalks or street. From time to time, the sprinkler heads need to be popped up above the top of the grass.
Regular maintenance of your sprinklers will not only save money on your water bill, but will also save the most precious pieces of your landscape.
Salt Lake City, Utah Landscape Peculiarities
Because of its geographical location, Utah is often called the land of snow-covered peaks, canyons, and natural rock formation. Being located in north central Utah, Salt Lake City’s soils are largely clay and sand, which makes water maintenance very important. With a well-planned landscape and a good watered soil, your yard will become flush, benign, and beautiful.
There are a lot of companies in Salt Lake City, Utah, that specialize in the installation, maintenance, and repair of watering systems, including spring sprinklers. Among them, a good choice is All States Landscaping, which helps keep your landscape healthy and beautiful. What stands this company out, is that they offer customized system installations to match your property’s needs. All this is done by a good combination of automatic sprinkler systems, drip systems, hose timers and more.
How to Save Water
Here, in Salt Lake City, Utah, water rates raise by 30 – 40% and even more for those using automated sprinkler systems. This could mean much higher water bills in the summer.
To save water with sprinkler systems, you can use several products and techniques that allow a much more efficient water use:
The first thing you should do is to check valve heads. You can also use pressure compensating heads and/or rain sensors. A good idea is the use of evapotranspiration (ET) controllers and high efficiency nozzles.
Less expensive ways to save water can be the following:
– Change the way you set controllers for water scheduling;
– Tune-up the sprinklers throughout the year;
– Repeatedly change the scheduling on the controller throughout out the season;
– Correct fertilizing;
– Straighten and raise sprinkler heads
With all the above mentioned, planning, installing and maintenance of a sprinkler system will be an enjoyable process that will help you optimize the work of your sprinkler and save money on its maintenance and water consumption.